Improving Your Image Through Visual Communications



Journalist - Photographer - Writer

Sunday 18 March 2012

Looking, seeing and photographing in Brunswick

Travel Photography - Advice and Tips

By Darren Stones

There's something magical about using the 10-22mm wide-angle lens. I just love how it allows me to get in close to subject matter and pull in other environmental elements.

During my recent photography walk around Brunswick, which is in the city of Moreland in Melbourne, I felt my creative juices flowing during that Labour Day public holiday. I could have been lounging around at home, however I went investigating to see what I could find.

I love to LOOK, SEE and PHOTOGRAPH. When visiting a new location, there's times when I simply have to stop and absorb the environment. This day was one of those days where slowing down provided me with time to connect with the surroundings.

Brunswick, Victoria, Australia IMG_5980_Brunswick

When doing travel photography, it's important to STOP. Yes, STOP. STOP travelling ... STOP driving, STOP walking. STOP in your tracks, close your eyes and listen. Do this at least 3-4 times for at least 10 seconds within a five minute period and you will begin to better connect with the location you are in.

Sydney Road, Brunswick, Victoria, Australia IMG_6026_Brunswick

I haven't spent any previous time photographing in Brunswick. This opportunity inspired me to think differently than in the past. I think it comes with maturity, and by that I mean photographic experience, knowledge, and know how.

Nobody is born knowing how to create photographs ... but you can learn how to make better photographs whilst on your feet by giving yourself time. Quality is what it's about. Quality time, quality photography, quality experience. And fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi and thanks for visiting.

Please post your comment or ask a question in relation to this article.

Darren Stones